Dec 14, 2017
The Samson College of Health Sciences provides six educational options. The mission of the Samson College of Health Sciences at USciences is to:
- Ensure high quality standards in educational programs.
- Develop faculty expertise and excellence in areas of teaching, research and/or scholarly activities, and service.
- Assist students in acquiring the scientific and technological knowledge, competencies, and skills required for successful practice and advancement in their chosen profession.
- Provide an education that prepares students intellectually, culturally, and ethically for their professional and personal lives.
- Create an environment that fosters student-centered learning and living, as well as respect for individuals from diverse cultures.
- Cultivate a commitment to service for professionals and the community.
- Develop new academic programs consistent with the University’s vision.
- Continually improve student learning and program quality through systematic assessment and quality improvements.
- Create, implement, and promote programs and treatments that maximize individual function in daily life.
- Create and disseminate new knowledge and skills in selected areas of inquiry in the health sciences.
The Samson College of Health Sciences educational options are:
- BSHS in Exercise Science and Wellness Management—This bachelor’s degree program combines a foundation in natural and social sciences with concentration on exercise as a science and management of an individual’s total wellness.
- BS in Health Science—The bachelor’s degree in health science has two purposes: to offer an opportunity for students to gain knowledge and skills in a chosen aspect of healthcare and to serve as the academic foundation for occupational therapy, physical therapy, and physician assistant studies or other health profession programs.
- Occupational Therapy—This is a six-year program, which provides an accelerated pathway via a bachelor’s degree in health sciences (BSHS) into the clinical doctorate of occupational therapy (DrOT). Those students who hold a baccalaureate degree may enter into the four-year DrOT program or into the 2 1/2–year MOT program.
- Physical Therapy—This six-year program of study leads to a bachelor’s degree in health science and a clinical doctorate in physical therapy (DPT). A three-year program is also offered for individuals with bachelor’s degrees who enroll in the DPT program.
- Physician Assistant Studies Undergraduate—This program is offered collaboratively with the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM). USciences offers a pre-professional phase of three years, leading to a bachelor’s degree in health science. At the completion of all requirements for this accelerated program and submission of your CASPA application, you are guaranteed for an interview at PCOM. Further study at PCOM leads to an MS in physician assistant studies.